Monday, February 8, 2010

First Doctor's Visit in YEARS!!

I haven't had medical insurance since I was 19 years old. Now that I'm married to a soldier, I have medical insurance again! Which is so good! So I went to the doctor last week for the first time in YEARS! Since it was the first time I had been there, we just did a few things. Like they took my temp, blood pressure, etc. The dr asked me questions about my health problems. I told her about my constant menstrual cycle. She told me that from the things I've said, she thinks I probably have PCOS. That is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, for those of you who don't know.

What is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?

Polycystic (pah-lee-SIS-tik) ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a health problem that can affect a woman's menstrual cycle, ability to have children, hormones, heart, blood vessels, and appearance. With PCOS, women typically have:
  • high levels of androgens (AN-druh-junz). These are sometimes called male hormones, although females also make them.
  • missed or irregular periods
  • many small cysts (sists) in their ovaries. Cysts are fluid-filled sacs.

I have a few friends that have PCOS and I have talked about the symptoms they have and I thought that I could have it. Thinking you have it and having your dr say that you have it are completely different things.

Getting home from the doctor's office, reading over the symptoms and complications of PCOS, I started to get a little emotional. This is one of the leading causes for infertility. Not everyone that has it, has trouble with getting pregnant. But not being able to have kids has always been my big fear. Now it just feel like it has come true.

My husband and I aren't planning to have kids for a couple of years anyways. If I'm not able to conceive, maybe we should start saving money for adoption now. We decided a while ago that we wanted to adopt no matter what. I'm still hoping it's not our only option for having children.

Thankfully I have a built in support group! Outside of my family and friends, I also have a handful of friends who have PCOS. They know what it's like, they know how I feel. I am so thankful for them!!

Much Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment